Unlock Better Well-being: How Quality Sleep Can Transform Your Life
Quality sleep is essential for our overall well-being, according to a study published in PLOS One. This study is the first of its kind to look at the long-term effects of social jet lag on quality of life and how changes in sleep duration, sleep quality, and sleep timing impact an individual’s life.
Sleep quality was found to have a significant correlation with life satisfaction, well-being, happiness, and subjective health. Interestingly, sleep duration and social jet lag didn’t show a significant impact on quality of life over time.
Although the study has some limitations, experts agree that getting quality sleep is crucial for our health and happiness. Here are some tips on how to improve your sleep quality:
- Be consistent: Try to maintain the same bed and wake times every day. A consistent sleep schedule can help improve your sleep quality and make it easier for you to fall asleep at night.
- Get some natural light: Make sure you get plenty of natural light in the morning after waking up. This helps you feel more awake and regulates your circadian rhythm, leading to better sleep.
- Practice good sleep hygiene: Limit caffeine within 8 hours of bedtime, avoid alcohol within 3 hours of bedtime, and limit screen time to 30-60 minutes before bed.
- Use relaxation techniques: If you find it hard to fall asleep due to anxiety, try cognitive behavioural techniques like breathing exercises, muscle relaxation, guided imagery, and meditation.
- Seek professional help: If you’re struggling with sleep quality consistently, talk to a sleep specialist or doctor. They might recommend a sleep clinic or a neurologist who specialises in sleep problems.
Remember, quality sleep is essential for a better quality of life, so don’t hesitate to seek help if you’re experiencing ongoing sleep issues.